Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipe
Do it yourself Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipe
What you Need:
– 2.5 Gallons of Hot Water
– 2 Bars of Soap (I used Dove or Men my first try, then I used Olay Bar soap. Most people recommend Ivory or fels naptha)
– 3/4 – 2 cups of Borax (I use 2 cups because it helps get red clay out!)
– 1 cup of Washing Soda (Bake Baking Soda for an hour – see why this works here – pennilessparenting.com)
– 5-6 Empty Laundry Detergent Containers
How to Make:
1. Measure out a cup and 1/2 of Baking Soda. Place on a cookie sheet spread finely. Bake on 375 for 1 hour. It will become a finer powder and shrink to 1 cup of Washing Soda.
2. While the Baking soda is baking grate the Bar Soaps. A few people mentioned you can melt them down in the microwave but this didn’t work well for me. also mentioned was you could put it in the bullet and have it chopped down be sure to add water.
3. Once the baking soda is finished baking combine the Washing Soda and Grated Bar Soap in a Sauce pan. Add 1 cup of warm water, warm slightly and mix well. It will only take about 5 minutes to be warmed enough and semi gooey mix.
4. Add 1/2 Gallon of Hot Water to your Laundry Detergent Jugs (I kept my Xtra and All Laundry Detergent jugs. You will need at least 5 – 6 depending on their size).
5. Add 1/4 cup of mixed solution to each Laundry Detergent Jug with Hot Water. Place cap on jug and shake well for a good 1-2 minutes. This part goes quickly because the solution hardens when cooled and you want to mix it. It will become a gooey substance very quickly and look and smell like Laundry Detergent. Repeat until all jugs are filled and shaken.
6. When using be sure to shake well before each use. Use 1 Cup per load. For best result including getting red clay out add 1/2 cup of Borax to the load.
This should yield you over 156 loads of laundry detergent
Borax – $4 at Dollar General
Baking Soda – $1 at Dollar Tree or you can find them as cheap as $.66 at Kroger
Bar Soaps – I used Olay and Dove for Men which were all FREE from sales and coupons. Every month PG insert will have either a $1/2 or $1/1 Olay Bar Soap and you can find these at Dollar Tree.
My Total Cost was $6 and I have made 2 batches so far and have not even used 1/3 of the Borax.
Thanks for reading and be sure to pin this if you like saving money!