As your Galactic Starveyors wow in excitement from their journey through space with your wonderful Galactic Starveyors Hallway Decorations you will want to keep your focus on God’s Word. Begin with Lifeway Galactic Starveyors VBS 2017 Day 1 – Kindergarten Lesson and Activities – The Relationship Began.
Day 1 The Relationship Began
Genesis 1:1-2,26-31; John 1:1,14
Bonus Verse: He is before all things, and by Him all things hold together. Colossians 1:17
The Point: The God who created everything wants a relationship with us.
Genesis 1:1-2 – In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness covered the surface of the water depths, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters.
Genesis 1:26-31 – Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness. They will rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the livestock, all the earth,[fn] and the creatures that crawl on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female. God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it. Rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, and every creature that crawls on the earth.” God also said, “Look, I have given you every seed-bearing plant on the surface of the entire earth and every tree whose fruit contains seed. This food will be for you, for all the wildlife of the earth, for every bird of the sky, and for every creature that crawls on the earth — everything having the breath of life in it. I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. God saw all that He had made, and it was very good. Evening came and then morning: the sixth day.
John 1:1 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:14 – The Word became flesh and took up residence among us. We observed His glory, the glory as the One and Only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
- Lifeway Galatic Starveyors VBS 2017 Day 2 – Kindergarten Lesson and Activities can help you plan out your day by seeing the diffent activities you can customize your VBS day.
- Also check out Bible Study Clubhouse Decoration Ideas that will sure build excitement for your Galactic Starveyors.
Lifeway Galactic Starveyors VBS 2017 Day 1 – Kindergarten Lesson and Activities
❏ “Bible Story Picture 1” (pack item 1)
❏ “Bible Markers” (pack item 6) — Place the Bible story and Bible verse markers in the Bible at the appropriate references.
❏ “Clubhouse Wall” (pack item 7) — Assemble according to instructions.
❏ “Star Map Overlay” (pack item 8) — Attach to the “Clubhouse Wall” according to the instructions on the pack item.
❏ “Galactic Fact 1” and “God Fact 1” (pack item 13a)
❏ “Story Words” (pack item 15)
❏ “Recipes and Instructions” (pack item 10) — Make the Rotating Target and Shooting Stars according to the instructions (supplies included with instructions).
❏ “Verse_Poster” (CD)
❏ Brown bulletin board paper cut into long, wide strips — Tape horizontally to the focal wall at a child’s eye level (to resemble a wooden plank wall). Hang the “Clubhouse Wall” (pack item 7) on top of the strips.
❏ Masking tape
❏ CD and CD player
• Prepare pack items 1, 6–11, 13a, and 14–18 according to the instructions. Review pack item 12.
• Print all CD items. Note that the “CD” referenced in this guide is the Kindergarten Enhanced CD (pack item 25).
• Gather one VBS 2017 Starveyor Kit: 3s–K (005790575) per child.
• Review the decorating suggestions (pages 46–48).
• NOTE: If kindergartners will not attend Worship Rally, print the “Intro Activities” (CD) for Day 1. Gather the listed materials and begin activities when the first child arrives.
• Set up a Wonder Wall (see “Quick and Easy Ideas,” pack item 12).
• Encourage your Starveyors to print what they wonder about the universe and what they wonder about God on sticky notes and add them to the Wonder Wall.
• Explain that Starveyors can add their “wonders” to the wall anytime during VBS. Say: “We will try to take time each day to answer a few of your questions. Use the Stars for Galactic Starveyors PDF by printing on yellow paper or using a Cutting Machine to easily cut them. Find the Star SVG File Here.
• Welcome Starveryors to VBS. Say: “The universe is filled with many wonders. God created all of the universe. During VBS we will learn about God and His wonderful plan for us.”
• Call attention to the Wonder wall. Invite kids to think about what they see in the sky at night. Say: “I wonder about all those stars I see. I wonder how many stars are in the sky.” Encourage Starveyors to tell you things they wonder about the nighttime sky.
INTRODUCE THE BIBLE STORY
- Read “Galactic Fact 1” (Our galaxy is called the Milky Way. A galaxy is a group of many stars, planets, asteroids. comets, and moons). then tape it near the focal wall. Tell Starveyors “Our galaxy is full of stars and planets and many other things. But in the beginning, none of those things were here.”
- Open your Bible to Genesis 1. Say: “The Bible tells us how all these things came to be. Let’s look at some words that will be in our Bible story.”
- Read each of the “Story Words” and lay them face-up on the floor. Encourage your Starveyors to listen for these words in the Bible story.
Story Words (God, create, beginning, good, world, plants, animals, people)
TELL THE BIBLE STORY
- Tell the Bible story in your own words. Make sure to mention each of the “Story Words” as you tell the Bible story.
REVIEW THE BIBLE STORY
- Read “God Fact 1” (God is the Creator. He made all the stars, planets, comets, asteroids, and nebulas. He made everything in the universe) and invite a Starveyor to tape it to the wall near the galactic fact.
- Show the Bible story picture. Encourage Starveyors to take turns telling what they remember about the Bible story.
- Tape the “Story Words” to the circles of the rotating target. Lead Starveyors to take turns tossing shooting star beanbags at the target. When a Starveyor hits a word, ask the group to tell about that word in the Bible story.
TALK ABOUT THE POINT
- Turn the “Star Map Overlay” to show Today’s Point (God created me to love Him). Read the point out loud. Say:”God created the world. He created people to love Him. He created you and He created me to love Him.”
- Lead Starveyors to repeat each word of Today’s Point as you say it. Repeat it in a loud voice twice.
PLAY “VERSE COMET”
- Open the Bible to Colossains 1 and read the Bible verse. Display the “Verse Poster” and lead the group to say the verse together.
(Jesus was with God in the beginning. God made everything in heaven and on earth. Colossins 1:15-16)
- Sit with Starveyors in a circle. Toss a shooting star beanbag to a Starveyor as they say the second word. Prompt or speak the verse words with kindergartners as needed. Continue tossing and saying the words of the verse. (TIP: for small groups or younger kids, use only the second part of the verse).
- Invite Starveyors to pray with you. Explain that when someone prays out loud, others sit quietly and listen. Many people close their eyes when someone prays so they can think about what the person is praying.
- Pray, Thanking God that He is the Creator. Thank Him for making the entire universe. Thank Him for each of the children, calling out each name.
- Teach the first part of “Everything in the Universe” (track 5). Encourage Starveyors to echo along with the Starveyors on the CD.
- Fade out the music before getting to the movement part of the song (Zoom like a comet, rise like the sun, etc.) or continue playing it while kids move to Bible-learning activities.
BUILD A STARVEYORS CLUBHOUSE
Gather your supplies: Bible, Pack items 9 and 11, large cardboard box, reflective tape, colored masking tape or duct tape, crayons and markers, other art supplies as desired.
- Use the “Clubhouse Ideas” (pack 11) to create a clubhouse observatory using one or more cardboard boxes. Place the clubhouse in a corner of the room. Lay art supplies, book and Bible nearby.
- Lead Starveyors to decorate the box with the markers, crayons, tape and sign (pack item 9).
- Talk about looking at the stars at night as Starveyors complete the clubhouse, lie inside or outside the box and pretend to look up at the stars.
- Open the Bible to Genesis 1 and talk about the Bible story. Remind Starveyors that God created the sky and everything in it. He created the world and everything in it. He created us to love Him.
EXTEND THE ACTIVITY
- Read “Book: Look at the Stars” (pack 14). Guide Starveyors to name things they see when they look at the nighttime (or daytime) sky.
- Sing the song “Everything in the Universe” (track 5).
God created the world. He created me to love Him.
PLAY “FILL THE SKY”
- Prepare the game according to the instructions on the pack items 17 – 18. Place the items on a tray on the floor or table. Mark the story and verse in the Bible.
- Guide two Starveyors to each take a game board. The Starveyors can take turns rolling a numbered cube and placing the corresponding number of stars on the grid. When the grids are filled. remove the cards and play again.
- Talk about the Bible story as Starveyors play the game or work puzzles. Remind kids that there is only on God and that He created the world. Open the Bible and show kids the Bible story. Then to the verse and read it.
EXTEND THE ACTIVITY
- Add the “Day and Night Pictures” (pack item 16) for Starveyors to sort. Challenge Starveyors to name other things they see or do in the daytime and at night.
- Pray and thank God for the world He made.
I can know that God made everything in heaven and on earth.
MAKE GALAXY PAINTINGS
- Cut the paper into circles to fit the bottom of the salad spinner. Pour a small amount of each paint into a separate bowl.
- Lead a Starveyor to print their name on a paper circle. They may then place their circle (name side down) in the bottom of the spinner. Show them how to drop a small amount of paint on their paper with a spoon.
- Secure the lid tightly on the spinner and lead the Starveyor to spin their paper. (Note: You may need to hold the spinnner while the Starveyor turns it.) Talk about the Bible story while the child spins their paper.
- Open the spinner and look at the painting. The Starveyor. can add more paint and spin again as he chooses (or as time allows). Set aside the painting to dry.
EXTEND THE ACTIVITY
- Offer silver glitter for Starveyors to sprinkle on their wet paintings. Or provide small star stickers to add after the paintings dry. Talk about the universe that God created.
- Sing the song “God Made Me” (track 1).
God created the universe. He created me.
TOSS SHOOTING STARS
- Lay the “Story Words” face-up on the floor. Guide Starveyors to take turns standing a few feet away and tossing the shooting star beanbags toward the words. When a shooting star lands on a word, read the word to kids. Encourage them to tell about that word in connection to the Bible story.
- You can always incorporate them into the decorations. We wrote the Story Words onto stars and taped them to the floor.
- Show the Bible story picture and talk more about the Bible story. Encourage Starveyors to open the Bible to the first verses (Genesis 1) to find the story.
- Remind kids that God created us to love Him. Invite Starveyors to pray and thank God for the world He created and for His love for us.
EXTEND THE ACTIVITY
- Place the Bible story picture a few feet further away. Challenge Starveyors to toss a shooting star onto the picture. If someone hits the picture, shout: “God is Creator!” together.
- Lead Kindergartners to say the Bible verse together.
God created the world. He created me to love Him.
CLOSING GROUP TIME – Day 1 VBS 2017
- Play and sing “Galactic Starveyors” (track 6).
- Lead Starveyors to clap to the music. Change movements as you sing: pat kees, tap shoulders, stomp feet.
Review the Bible Story
- Place the tap light planets along a wall or on a table. Place one of the “Story Words” with each tap light.
- Ask a question related to the Bible story that can be answered with one (or more) of the “Story Words.” Invite a volunteer to run and turn on the correct tap light. Continue until all kids have had a turn.
- Give each child a self-stick note and a marker and ask him to draw something that God made.
- Collect the markers as Starveyors add their notes to the focal wall.
Say the Bible Verse
- Open the Bible to the verse and lead the group to say it together.
- Tell Starveyors that you will spin the Spinner. Challenge them to say the verse before the Spinner stops.
- Spin again and lead kids to say the verse quickly. Try to beat the Spinner.
- Choose a Starveyor to spin the Spinner. Say the verse again while the Spinner spins.
- Repeat, giving several Starveyors a turn to spin the Spinner.
- Comment: “God created me to love Him. God created you to love Him. Let’s thank God.”
- Pray, thanking God for the world He created, Thank Him for the children at VBS. Ask Him to help people at your church to love Him.
- Place a tap light planet in the middle of the group. Call on a Starveyor to turn the tap light on and tell on thing God made them able to do. After they turn off the light. choose another Starveyor to tap the light on and tell something God made him able to do.
Play a Game
- Lay the “Day and Night Pictures” face-up on the floor. Guide children to sort the pictures into things that happen in the daytime and things that happen at night.
- Mix the cards and challenge the Starveyors to sort the cards in a different way (such as those with people and without people).
- Continue the game until dismissal time.